Current:Home > ContactNew York City to pay $17.5 million to settle suit over forcing women to remove hijabs for mug shots -Visionary Wealth Guides
New York City to pay $17.5 million to settle suit over forcing women to remove hijabs for mug shots
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 18:41:52
New York City will pay $17.5 million to settle a class action lawsuit over forcing women to remove hijabs for mug shots, their lawyers and advocates said in a statement on Friday.
More than 3,600 in the class action lawsuit will be eligible for payments of approximately $7,000 to $13,000 nearly four years after the police agreed to change their policy on religious head coverings.
The settlement needs to be approved by the federal judge overseeing the case.
"This is a milestone for New Yorkers' privacy and religious rights," said Albert Fox Cahn, executive director of the advocacy organization, Surveillance Technology Oversight Project. "The NYPD should never have stripped these religious New Yorkers of their head coverings and dignity. This wasn't just an assault on their rights but on everything our city claims to believe in."
On March 16, 2018, Jamilla Clark and Arwa Aziz filed a complaint against the city alleging police made them remove their hijabs for mug shots. The two women became the named plaintiffs in the class action lawsuit, which covers arrests that happened between March 16, 2014, and August 23, 2021, in the city. Clark had been arrested for filing a bogus class action lawsuit against her abusive husband, court documents said. She said the NYPD had threatened to prosecute her if she didn't remove her hijab. Court documents said an NYPD officer took a photo of Clark while she wept and begged to put the coverings back on.
"When they forced me to take off my hijab, I felt as if I were naked, I'm not sure if words can capture how exposed and violated I felt," Clark said in a statement. "I'm so proud today to have played a part in getting justice for thousands of New Yorkers. This settlement proves I was right all those years ago when I said it was wrong to remove my hijab for a mugshot. I hope no New Yorker ever has to experience what I went through."
"We send our appreciation to the Muslim women who bravely persisted with this litigation, prompting policy change that benefit many with similar religious garb requirement," CAIR-NY Executive Director Afaf Nasher said in a statement.
The NYPD changed its policy in 2020 allowing all arrestees to retain their religious head covering unless they fall within limited exceptions, court documents said.
- In:
- NYPD
- Police Officers
- New York
Cara Tabachnick is a news editor and journalist at CBSNews.com. Cara began her career on the crime beat at Newsday. She has written for Marie Claire, The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal. She reports on justice and human rights issues. Contact her at [email protected]
veryGood! (4)
Related
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Drake Bell maintains innocence in child endangerment case, says he pleaded guilty due to finances
- Florida’s stricter ban on abortions could put more pressure on clinics elsewhere
- Arkansas mom arrested after 7-year-old son found walking 8 miles to school, reports say
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Soccer Star and Olympian Luke Fleurs Dead at 24 in Hijacking, Police Say
- Disney prevails over Peltz, ending bitter board battle
- Your tax refund check just arrived. What should you do with it?
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- 'Didn't have to go this hard': Bill Nye shocks fans in streetwear photoshoot ahead of solar eclipse
Ranking
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Oklahoma executes Michael Dewayne Smith, convicted of killing 2 people in 2002
- Kentucky governor vetoes nuclear energy legislation due to the method of selecting board members
- Thomas Gumbleton, Detroit Catholic bishop who opposed war and promoted social justice, dies at 94
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Jax Taylor and Brittany Cartwright Reveal Why They Put 2-Year-Old Son Cruz in Speech Therapy
- What we know about the Baltimore bridge collapse as the cleanup gets underway
- What Sean Diddy Combs Is Up to in Miami After Home Raids
Recommendation
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Why Caitlin Clark and Iowa will beat Paige Bueckers and UConn in the Final Four
80-year-old American tourist killed in elephant attack during game drive in Zambia
Oklahoma executes Michael DeWayne Smith for 2002 fatal shootings
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Judge denies Trump's motion to dismiss documents case
John Passidomo, husband of Florida Senate President, dies in Utah hiking accident
British Museum faces probe over handling of tabots, sacred Ethiopian artifacts held 150 years out of view